Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Friday, August 1, 2014

Whats that???

I am a self-admitted Geek for early learning, particularly literacy! I am on the trolley with a annoyingly loud 2 year old and her older sister of about 7 or 8 years of age, and their father. Two is on the lap of Eight. In between some random screams, reaching notes not yet created by the Lord, they begin to engage in a "what's that" dialogue. I'm beaming inwardly because I know that *this* is real learning!!

"What's that?"
"Say grass..."
"Grass. What's that?"
"Car"
"What's that?"
Say skyline..."
"What's that?"
"Uhhhh {looking at one of the University of the Sciences buildings and not yet knowing the proper noun} building."

Talk. THIS is what's it's all about at this (and other) stages of a child's life! Early literacy starts here!! Talking with young children, NOT instagramming or tweeting as you hold your infant (a scene that ticked me off yesterday).

The converastion was laden with vocabulary and the idea that things have names. Eventually that will turn into names having characters associated with them that can be read and carry meaning.

I should go over to Eight and ask her to give Two a standardized test and eliminate some choices then write an expose and remember to begin by 'TAG'ing it a 3...or is it 4?

The dialogue continues...
"What's that?"
"Sidewalk."
"What's that..."

No comments:

Post a Comment