Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Taking the wings out of dead flies!!

I can remember being a little lad, outside in the summer sun, watching ants at work. I was so enthralled by the dead bugs, chips, onion rings, and water ice remnants they'd be feasting on. I remember watching with intrigue the hills they constructed from dirt inside the earth.

Then, too, I can also remember looking at the different types of ants I'd see. Some were black, others were red, some were smaller than others and some even flew! ((WOW))

I also remember being interested in dead flies. They wouldn't be dead before I got a hold of them, however. I took their wings out and examined them closer. I saw them "wash their face and hands" often. That is until I ended their stay on earth.

Then there were the dragonflies, beetles, June bugs, fire flies, hornets, and yellow jackets. What naturally followed was the flipping through of the old World Book Encycopedias to learn more!

I fear that in this age of high stakes testing, Common Core and many special interests, who feign invested interest in our children, that such learning and discovery and excitement about such learning and discovery will fizzle!

Ooops, it already has!

No comments:

Post a Comment