Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Rest well

Dear Maria, Marialla, Patrick, and Taj,
Hi you guys. You didn't know me, but my name is Mr. Fl----Mr. Steve. I'm a teacher. You didn't know me and I never had the privilege of meeting you. But today, I'm very very sad about what happened to you guys. You were so young, so innocent, so full of life and so full of potential. Do you know what "potential" means? It means that you can---could have been---anything you ever wanted to be! You could've have been a teacher like me. Or maybe you could have been a person who makes bridges or drives a truck or a superhero, like a firefighter!

But it makes me really sad that you guys are no longer here to run around and play or even go to school like the bigger kids! You probably had fun on July 4th right? Did you eat hamburgers or do---did---you like hot dogs better? Did you get a chance to see the fireworks with all the lights and the loud noises? I'm sure you really liked those or did they scare you? Maybe you even got a chance to get some ice cream or water ice?

Well, even though I didn't know you, I'm sure going to miss you! I know your family is going to miss you too! You were four years old and one month old and very beautiful kids! Can you---could you count to four? I'm sure you could! Then you would have been five years old, a whole hand, and even go to school with the other five year olds! It makes me sad that you won't get that chance!

Patrick, is that your little brother you're holding? Don't you ever stop holding him! Don't let go of him! Ever!
Maria and Marialla, you two stay together! Hold hands! And don't let go! Ever!

Bye now dear hearts!
Rest well little ones!
Mr. Steve


No comments:

Post a Comment