Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Saturday, March 22, 2014

That's our fault too I guess!!

On the trolley a few moments ago:

I'm sitting, rereading a William Still book for the third time and a couple of early 20s get on with about four children. Based on some of what I heard, I don't think at least two of them belonged to this couple. I'm also unsure of the relationship of the couple. Nevertheless...

I'm reading, one little girl, maybe 3 years old, is very active, refusing to sit down as the trolley is moving. She's playful and jovial, but even over the playful "demands" of the young woman refuses to sit down. She falls a few times, but no injuries. The young woman says "that's what the @*%$ you get" and laughs!

The little 3 year old girl replies, "Who you talkin' to you dumb @*%$??" Because she was loud, most of the trolley, including the young woman, erupts in laughter!!

Me? I'm FUMING!!!! Here's what I see.

I see a future 5th or 6th grader who is out of control.
I see non-supportive parents.
I see a spoiled brat who'll get whatever she wants.
I see parents that will only come to the school if there is a problem and will defend this girl.
I see a child who will likely not get A's and B's because education doesn't seem to be a priority.
I see suspensions in this child's future.
I see early sexual activity.
I see looking to the government for help.
I see a cycle that I've ALREADY SEEN over and over again.
I see legislatures in Harrisburg and City Hall putting the blame on teachers.
I see principals who want to know what "strategies" we have in place to put this child on the road to proficiency.

At this point, I don't care if I'm being judgmental. I don't care if I'm being a doomsday prophet. I don't care if I'm being stereotypical. I don't care if I'm being insensitive. I don't care if anything I just wrote is politically incorrect! I don't care if this post offends anyone! I'm calling a spade a spade! A rose by any other name is still a rose! I don't care!

I am sick and tired of our public schools and my colleagues and I taking the fault and taking the blame for circumstances beyond our control!!! That little girl needs some REAL parents! Parents who will model before her appropriate social and academic behaviors! Period!

Sue me!

~Flem

No comments:

Post a Comment